In September, the Department of Education released a new version of the “Borrower Defense to Repayment” rule that would make it virtually impossible for students cheated by their college to cancel their student loans. Senator Dick Durbin and Representative Susie Lee have introduced a Congressional Review Act challenge to repeal this rule and restore stronger student protections put in place in a 2016 rule. In response, 57 organizations released a letter supporting the Durbin-Lee efforts so that students who were fraudulently deceived or whose schools engaged in other illegal conduct can access relief from their student debts.
- How to Stop Schools That Prey on Veterans
The New York Times
March 30, 2021
- Goodbye to Betsy DeVos, who survived by accomplishing almost nothing
The Los Angeles Times
December 9, 2020
- Why is it so hard for Betsy DeVos to provide debt relief and loan forgiveness to students?
The Los Angeles Times
January 2, 2020
- Coalition Letter to Education Secretary Cardona
- Coalition Letter from 22 Groups Urging Secretary Cardona to Immediately Address Borrower Defense Claims
- No More Corinthians: Why Students Need a Strong Borrower Defense Rule
- Why Students Need a Strong Gainful Employment Rule
- Coalition letter from 53 organizations to the 117th Congress
Today, more than 2 dozen student #veterans are meeting with 38 Congressional offices to share their stories about how predatory colleges ripped off their #GIBill. Their voices will be heard!
We're SO EXCITED to kick off our 2021 Virtual Hill Day! More than 2 dozen veterans have joined us online to share their stories today!! #Veterans #GIbill
.@usedgov Announces Richard Cordray as Chief Operating Officer at Federal Student Aid http://ow.ly/fwod50EFg7b Good news for students and taxpayers. For more, see @NACAC and allied organizations https://bit.ly/3vH40Zx #DefendStudents
#GoodRead via @TCFdotorg: "Insiders Win and Students Lose When #4Profit Colleges Convert to Non-Profit" http://ow.ly/xS4C50EC3Br More on how to #DefendStudents against unscrupulous institutions from @NACAC and allied orgs http://ow.ly/hD7G50EC3Bs
We are excited and proud to support @richcordray as the next head of @usedgov Federal Student Aid! There is much to be done to #defendstudents and no better choice to lead the effort to do so. Our 100 Day Docket is a start!
The latest on #4profit college conversions to non-profit status http://ow.ly/IbTm50EzLiP via @HigherEdDive @NACAC has endorsed a bill by @RepLucyMcBath to better regulate these conversions to protect against fraud and abuse https://bit.ly/3sWIRIZ #DefendStudents @SACAC_Info