In September, the Department of Education released a new version of the “Borrower Defense to Repayment” rule that would make it virtually impossible for students cheated by their college to cancel their student loans. Senator Dick Durbin and Representative Susie Lee have introduced a Congressional Review Act challenge to repeal this rule and restore stronger student protections put in place in a 2016 rule. In response, 57 organizations released a letter supporting the Durbin-Lee efforts so that students who were fraudulently deceived or whose schools engaged in other illegal conduct can access relief from their student debts.
- Goodbye to Betsy DeVos, who survived by accomplishing almost nothing
The Los Angeles Times
December 9, 2020
- Why is it so hard for Betsy DeVos to provide debt relief and loan forgiveness to students?
The Los Angeles Times
January 2, 2020
- Protect Veterans From Fraud
The New York Times
December 31, 2019
- No More Corinthians: Why Students Need a Strong Borrower Defense Rule
- Why Students Need a Strong Gainful Employment Rule
- Coalition letter from 53 organizations to the 117th Congress
- 19 Organizations Write to Secretary DeVos regarding findings of fraud against College America and other schools owned by Center for Excellence in Higher Education (CEHE)
- Protect Students and Taxpayers Coalition Two-Pager
Dr. Miguel Cardona confirmed as Education Secretary by Senate http://ow.ly/glK050DO7I6 @NACAC looks forward to working with Secretary Cardona to support #collegeaccess and #defendstudents @teachcardona
Congratulations to @teachcardona! We are looking forward to working with the new @usedgov Secretary and his team to #protectstudents #defendstudents #defendtheGIBill.
Breaking News: Miguel Cardona, a career educator who drew bipartisan support for his success in reopening Connecticut’s schools, was confirmed as education secretary. https://nyti.ms/3kyuqsb
🎉 We have a new Secretary of Education! @teachcardona was just confirmed by the Senate to lead the Department of Education. We’re excited to work with you over the next four years to #DefendStudents!
@DepSecDef @DeptofDefense @POTUS @SecDef That's just a waste of goddamn money, spend that on improving education and paying teachers more. Better yet #DefendStudents and discharge student loan debt.
.@NACAC-backed "Protecting Our Students and Taxpayers (POST) Act" reintroduced http://ow.ly/uDPq50DKRlr We appreciate @SenatorDurbin and @RepCohen's leadership on protecting students from predatory institutions. @IACAC @SACAC_Info #highered #DefendStudents